Sunday, January 20, 2008

Karate Kid II

Life often imitates work: If I just put off making a decision long enough, the situation will resolve itself. So yesterday we went to our second martial arts class. I made sure to arrive early, as I knew the boys would be getting their uniforms, and corralling them into changing clothes/getting ready for class would be a time suck.

The atmosphere this time was different: Music playing, grown-ups sparring, Two senseis on the scene. With uniforms in hand, we sat down on the side of the mat to watch the adult boxing/kickboxing class. Not there for even one minute, Sensei called, "Hey Mom! Do you want to join us in class?" Yes! Yes! Yes! I do! So I quickly changed my clothes and got down to business. Lifting the free weights, doing sit-ups, following Sensei's order. Sensei told the boys where to sit and kept them out of trouble while I got some much-needed exercise. When it was time to "work the heavy bag," (and by that I mean the boxing training device, not myself), Sensei let me borrow some boxing gloves and gave me a quick instruction on what to do. Then--and this is my favorite part--he told the boys to come sit on the edge of the mat near me and "Show your mother some respect." I'm in love!

Class proceeded like this for about 30 minutes. Then it was time for the boys to do their thing. This time, Booper was all about it. He performed every element of class, start to finish, including the vocal parts. (e.g. Ooos, Sensei.) He had a blast, giggling, listening, enthralled by Sensei and the other kids in his class. Dream come true. The Caboose...not so much. I got the uniform on him, and he promptly stripped it off, standing in class in his diaper. Sensei laughed and told me his son did the same thing when he was Caboose's age, and it's probably because the new uniform is itchy. I participated in class again this time, but really just with the Caboose, who was not that into it. The Boop was doing his own thing.

Now we can't wait to go back this week, and I'm hoping to work something out with the Handyman so I can go to this boxing/kickboxing class regularly. If you've never put on boxing gloves and kicked/punched the bejesus out of something, I gotta tell you. It's a revelation.

5 comments:

samokdaddy said...

Sounds fun...and cathartic. My kids don't have anything like that now. With two jobs, I don't have the time to do that now...maybe in the future. The kids are the about the same ages as yours and they do like to get physical with each other. Most of the time, they don't hurt each other, but J sometimes cringes. The male in me has fun with it for the most part...plus the little sister is the one doing most of the real physical whacking...the older boy is the sensetive one. The 20 lb little girl is the tigress.

Anonymous said...

Glad you got some 'you' time in there and Booper was all about it this time. Hopefully next time, the Caboose will join in again and you can really go to town on the punching bag!

Sandra B. said...

Sounds like it mostly all worked out.

Sandra.

Mama Nabi said...

Oh man, how perfect! Now I really want to punch some bags... hmmm, wonder if I can fashion one.

YAY!

Angela said...

Sounds like a great class, that's great that it can be a family class if that's what you would like to do. My kids are already involved in so many activities I'm still trying to figure out what to give up, I know my son would love to take tae kwon do.