Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Unlikely Custodian

Hi. Welcome to my world. After reading a lot of other blogs, I've concluded that I am just as adorably self-indulgent as the next person, ergo I should have a place online to share my insightful musings. So here I go. Let me start by telling you some things about me that will be relevant to our discussion here. 1) I am Jewish and my husband is Korean. 2) We have two sons, ages (nearly) 4 and (nearly) 2. 4) My husband and I own a business together. Got all that? Great, then let's move on.

Let's start by elaborating on item #1. I am Jewish. I'm not particularly religious, though I did attend Hebrew School for 4 years, but I'm more one of those "cultural" Jews. You know the type. I don't keep kosher, but I love Woody Allen. I don't speak Hebrew, but I do speak Yiddish. I married outside the religion, but my sons are circumcised. I was not bat mitzvahed, but this is a separate matter. I could have been bat mitzvahed--my parents offered--but the prospect of standing up in front of a room full of people (three of whom would be my nuclear family) and singing....IN HEBREW...was more than I could stomach. Plus I was not exactly comfortable with the idea that I was "a woman" at age 13. I think my feelings can best be summed up by this Jewish Haiku:

Today I am a man.
Tomorrow I will return
To the seventh grade.

Also, my parents were going through an ugly divorce at the time, and having a big family party with all the meshbuchah didn't seem like such a pleasant way to spend a Saturday.

So I love my Jewish heritage, and I never miss an opportunity to teach my children about theirs. We light Hanukkah candles. We have a Passover seder. As their mother--and the reason why they are Jewish in the first place--it is clearly my role to educate them about their ancestors, customs, and culture. No problem. We even light a Yartzheit candle for their Halmuni, who is sadly gone for nearly 3 years now.

Halmuni was a lovely woman. I know that, way back when, she was strongly opposed to her son marrying anyone not Korean. But by the time he was 36 years old, still single, and living in San Francisco in a suspiciously tidy apartment, I believe she was somewhat relieved to find out he was getting married at all. When she met me, over dinner at a vegetarian Korean restaurant in Manhattan, she was cordial, polite, and reserved. It was a few years later, when our relationship had developed in some unexpected ways, that she said about me to a family friend, "Sometimes an American girl is better than a Korean girl."

And this leads me to the point of my post. I feel very strongly that my biracial/bicultural children should learn as much as they can about their heritage(s). While my understanding and knowledge of their Jewish culture abounds, I am woefully lacking in the Korean language/culture/history department. The boys have two wonderful Komos, who try to add what they can, but they live far away. And their harabuji lives far away also, which leaves quite a void. As for my husband, well...let's just say that being the ambassador for the Korean culture is not exactly his strong suit. I believe that if my MIL were still alive, she would be doing a bang-up job of teaching my children about their Korean background. In fact, we have the most touching and sweet video of her cuddling our older son as a newborn, whispering to him in Korean, asking him if he is sleepy, gazing in wonder at her first grandchild. What wondrous things would she be saying to them now, if she could?

Both of my sons had a Dol, but that's about all they had. They love bulgogi, but I buy it premade at Trader Joe's. They know they have a "chaji" and a "tushy." We hope to enroll them in the Korean-immersion program at one of our local public elementary schools when they reach Kindergarten. But are these gestures enough? Are they going to feel resentful one day that they were deprived of adequate exposure to their proud Korean lineage? Or will they be happy Hapa, satisfied with a little of this and a little of that?

Thoughts?

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

PERFECT! Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging -- guaranteed to be the #1 time suckage activity of your free time from here on out.

So happy you joined the cult!

I didn't know my mom said that. I love that. I know she loved you so much and appreciated everything you did for her; most of all, give her her first grandchild. I really wish she could have met The Tax Man because oh she would have loved him so. And really, what's not to love about BOTH of them?

Dude, I'm still trying to figure out my own Korean-ness so I'm not sure I'm the Komo to help. However, I will tell you not to get that bulgoki at TJ's. They mean well, but I don't want my nephews thinking that that is what it's supposed to taste like. It's just wrong.

Your question is a good one. I'm going to do my best with the twins, but there's only so much I can provide. A lot of the reason I started blogging was for that same question -- to reconnect with my roots, for the twins. And I've loved every part of it.

Btw, don't feel censored talking about the family here. Honestly. I think I've commented on other blogs about my mom not always being fair to you. Seemingly little things now, but I know it was there. There are lots of other non-Korean wives out there dealing with the wrath of the Korean MIL. It can get ugly.

Same non-censorship goes for the "suspiciously tidy..." (HA HA) huz/brother. Although, I know you don't hold back about him. And hopefully by now you know I don't care!

You f'ing kick ass. Love it!

Anonymous said...

Btw, because my non-Jewish Jewish husband can't help me... mmm... what's a shiksa?

FingKASIL said...

shiksa = non-Jewish female. Usually of dating age. You are technically a shiksa, but in the classic sense, a shiksa is a non-Jewish white female, like Charlotte York or Martha Stewart.

Anonymous said...

HA HA. So my MIL would say...? "Oy vey. What did I do in this life to deserve to have my son date that (blank)?!" (G thinks it's shiksamnida.)

Martha is of dating age?

FingKASIL said...

That G...he puts the funk in Funcle.

Mama's Moon said...

Hi there! Just wanted to pop in and shout a big welcome to BlogLand. I just had to come over (from Half Mama) because she promised you'd be really funny, and, well, bc her humor is similar to mine I trusted her...and she was absolutely right!

I'm looking forward to reading more of your witty posts!

Rachel said...

Hey, welcome to the blogosphere! I started blogging because I was in a similar situation; I wanted my daughter to learn about the Korean part of her heritage but my husband wasn't really interested in teaching her.

Looking forward to reading more.

honglien123 said...

Welcome Fingkasil! Nice first post. I've noticed a trend here. A lot of dads don't seem to be very interested in passing on much of their heritage. I hope that my kids learn more about their three Asian heritages as well however, my hubby, unfortunately, doesn't generally think that it's that important. (They'll live if they don't learn what a saebae is afterall.)

Mrs J said...

Hi! I found your blog via HalfMama via Kimchi Mamas. I'm a bit of a lurker, but I am looking forward to your posts. You are more than welcome to take a peek into my life as well. http://mrsjkimcheese.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

(HA! She wrote "chaji". HA!)

Looks like you're starting off with a bang. Welcome aboard!

As an aside, "shiksa" in Korean is the polite term for having a meal/dining/eating, right? My Korean sucks, so I'm probably wrong...

Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to reading more!

bokumbop said...

Welcome to our world, mwa ha ha ha ha!

Beloved said...

Bwah-ha-ha! I thought shiksa was Korean. As in what I scream to my husband at the top of my lungs after making the kimchi chiggae--"Shiksa ha-say-yo!"

Gregg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

found you through halfmama ... looks like you're going to be a fantastic blogger! Welcome. I look forward to reading more.

ayac said...

Hello :)
Found you through halfmama from bokumbap from Kimchi Mama...
gotta love blogging...

1)I am 1/2 Inupiaq Eskimo, 1/2 OK Choctaw, but belong to Choctaw Nation of OK.

2)My husband is Korean. We obviously have three children together, so we don't have a problem with it , why should anyone else?

3)I like your haiku.

Mama Nabi said...

belated welcome! (I had some issues with my google account - i.e. wasn't really sure if I had one...)

beavis said...

Hi I found you through kimchimamas. I think you're doing great job of giving your children a balanced grounding of self because you're being conscious of everything.

It's (not so) funny how children bring identity issues to a head. Although I am korean, my husband is not. My husband's situation is interesting b/c he is not just non-korean but mixed race asian and his parents could have done a much better job on the identity front. But they couldn't/didn't handle any of it very well with not so great consequences for all of their kids. Anyway fast forward and here we are w/our own kid and we are working through how we can help our son define his identity even as we're managing our own.

The good news is that if I continue with the reading and the flash cards and the korean dvds I will become fluent in reading and conversation, well at the level of a 3rd grader :X .