Friday, August 22, 2008

Seoul Brother #1

You won't believe where I just was. Are you sitting down? We just got home from the "Meet and Greet" at Booper's Korean Immersion kindergarten class. That's right. You heard me. We got the call yesterday, and he is now officially enrolled in kindergarten. But not just any kindergarten. He is in our dream class: Korean Immersion. I was one of only 4 non-Koreans in the room. The teacher, who is Korean, greeted us in Korean and the room is packed with English and Korean books, learning tools, pictures, words, etc. Consider my mind blown.

We are thrilled, and I am a bit scared in the way that all moms are when their eldest is about to start school. Will he be able to handle it? Will he make friends? Will he like it? Will it be too academically rigorous for him? But now with all of the questions colored by the reality that he is a Hapa in a strange land. He is now in class with just 2 other Hapa kids (near as I can tell) one African-American boy, and all the rest Korean kids.

It's a little too much for me to process, and I know I will be leaning on my readers for support. But for now, I thought I'd share the happy news with those of you who read along as we went through this crazy SFUSD journey. It had a happy ending. Or perhaps more accurately, it has resulted in a happy beginning.

7 comments:

jooliyah said...

congratulations!!! hooray for you guys! i'm sure he'll do great and make lots and lots of chingoos (friends).

Anonymous said...

OMG CONGRATULATIONS. I'm so psyched for all of you! And totally jealous. Now we definitely have to see you guys as often as possible so that the twins can learn Korean from their Booper Uhpa. We are all severely missing you guys. :( I have the kids' pic on my iPod and I just want to squeeze them all.

Mama Nabi said...

Is this where I could say "mazel tov" and feel like I'm not TOTALLY botching Yiddish?

CONGRATS!!!! I'm almost breathless from the pride I feel for your persistence!!!! Hurrah!

(Wait... so if LN were to go to a Koream immersion school, HM might grace US with her presence...? plot, plot, where's the damn Korean immersion school?)

Unknown said...

Congratulations!

I've heard so many awful things about the SF public and private school systems...it's really disheartening. I'm so glad it worked out for you!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sandra B. said...

OMG! Congrats!!!!

beavis said...

a little late to the party but congrats!! what an amazing opportunity for the little guy as well as your family.