Thursday, March 6, 2008

My Peeps

We are invited to a birthday party this weekend. Ordinarily, this would not be worth mentioning, as there are birthday parties almost every week when you have two kids in preschool. It seems that, at this age, inviting the entire class is de rigeur (we don't, but others feel it's the proper thing to do). This party is different, though. It is the party for the baby sister of one of Booper's classmates. The classmate in question is a beautiful and sweet Little Korean girl, 100%. She has a crush on the Boop, and wants to marry him, which puts her in good company. (It seems that most of the girls at his school have designs on him. And what's not to like?) We feel that she would be an ideal wife for Booper, but that it may be premature to make this kind of decision.

I'm not sure what the genesis of this invitation is, but I am touched and flattered, and a tad surprised, by it. You see, the party is at a restaurant, to celebrate LKG's baby sister's dol. We have never met LKG's baby sister, though we have met her parents who are friendly, intelligent, and kind people. I was once chatting with LKG's mother (who is stunning, BTW) at a school event. She told me that LKG has a crush on Booper. Then added, "What the heck! I have a crush on him, too! Those lips! That hair! He's so handsome!"

I checked the Evite list, and we are the only family from the preschool that is invited (and possibly the only family that is not 100% Korean.) I assume that is because:
1) They are taking this preschool betrothal more seriously than we are
2) They wanted to have a friend there for their older daughter to play with
3) They are wrapping us in the warm, kimchi love of the Korean family.

Whichever it is, we're happy to be included, but I am a little nervous about being the outsider, unfamiliar with the customs, foods, language. I love to experience new things, but I don't want to put my foot in it by mistake. My son's social life hangs in the balance! Sound familiar to some of you Kimchi Mamas? Can anyone offer some guidance on the how-tos? I have only been to my own sons' dols, and I think they were fairly unorthodox. My sense is that this is going to be the real deal.

2 comments:

Mama Nabi said...

Oooh, dol! Hmmm, I've actually never been to a bona fide one. I do know that there's a lot of food! :-)
I think (esp since they're Korean-Americans... right?) you can bring a 'regular' birthday present... OR one of those things you can buy (bonds?) that will mature in 15 years or something... and put it in an envelope... so it'd be akin to money envelopes that Koreans usually do for events like this.

Other than that, I'd say... can LN and I tag along for the food??

:-) Oh, and mazel tov on Boop's preschool betrothal!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... maybe you can post this in a comment over at Kimchi Mamas, if you haven't already (on Thursday's open post?).

I don't know if I've ever been to a 'proper' one either... but I don't think it's anything to worry about. I bet if you ask anyone questions, they will be happy to share with you what is going on and what everything means.

Any gifts are fine, but you know of course the Koreans love the cashola!

Have fun!!