Friday, September 28, 2007

Turtle Droppings

I had a mysterious message on my cell phone yesterday. The Caboose's preschool teacher left a voice mail saying that one of her "friends" bit the Caboose on the back because he wanted to look at her book. She kept saying, "my friend" bit the Caboose, "my friend" didn't want to share the book, etc. At first, I thought there was some grown-up pal of hers hanging out at school biting toddlers. And while the Caboose is about as delicious as they come, I do believe one should show some self-restraint when it comes to actually sampling the goods. When I phoned her back, she explained that it was another Turtle that bit him, but she can't tell me who, so she calls this person "my friend." What gives? I mean, they're right. If she told me who it was, I would no doubt judge this child mercilessly and harbor secret resentment toward her parents. (I was able to ascertain that it was a girl Turtle.) But goddamit, I want to know who bit my kid!

In other news, I am starting to get the feeling that one of you loyal readers is also the parent to a fellow Alligator at the preschool. If you are, please give me the secret handshake or something so we "come out" to each other. Why do I say this? Well, this morning we all approached the school together, me with my two and you with your adorable Hapa son. Mr. Blog Reader said, "So Booper was out sick on picture day, huh?" Now either he is an incredibly observant parent who somehow noticed that my son was not in the class photo, nor did he receive any individual pictures, or he HAS BEEN READING MY BLOG! If it's the latter, come out come out whereever you are.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo that's weird. B&B's teacher won't name the bully who punched Bean, but she and I both know who it was, since I was there. Still, she calls her 'the other student,' but even she doesn't call her 'my friend.' That is bizarre. Can you ask The Caboose? Would he be able to tell you?

christina said...

Well, I'm not the blog reader who is possibly a parent of the kid at your kid's school but I have been reading for a while and wanted to shout out a "yeah!" for your last few posts about diversity and living in the city. In fact, I grew up in the very city you speak of and now live just minutes away. Love the city, and I think our kids are mighty lucky to grow up in such an environment. Thanks for sharing.

FingKASIL said...

HM: We asked the Caboose last night to name the culprit. He did, in fact, identify his masticator. We hope he's wrong, because I have heretofore loved this little girl.