Tuesday, October 14, 2008

More of the Same (Addended)

  • Greetings.

    It's Umma here. That's right. Booper has started calling me Umma sometimes. He is learning at light-speed in his KIP program. He now knows the following, in Korean:

    * How to count to 20
    * How to sing Happy Birthday
    * How to sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
    * How to write his name.
    * How to say, hello, goodbye, thank you, freeze, stop what you're doing and look at the teacher, stand up, sit down, and behind. (we taught him koon-denghi, but he's learned an alternate word.)

    There is a lot more that he understands but can't say on his own. His pronounciation is impeccable. He enthusiastically gobbles up all the bul-gogi, kalbi, or man-du that I can make. (Though this may be in part due to a growth spurt because the other night he consumed an entire adult-sized burrito.)

    What's even more astounding is that the Caboose is learning a lot of these things too, just by association. It's true that their minds are sponges right now. So all the scholastic stuff is going great.

    Booper is also making a lot of friends, and I'm holding my own with the other moms. Some better than others, as you can imagine. Last night, however, I hit a snag. You see, one of the moms has a tradition of holding these periodic Moms Cooking Nights at her house. (She has an older child in the KIP program, so she's a veteran with these things.) She invites all the moms over, and then one of the Korean moms shows the rest of us how to make authentic Korean food. I'm all over that. Unfortunately, the first one falls on a weekend when my Mom is going to be in town. In order to avoid stepping on anyone's toes, I sent the following to the moms email list:

    "I would love to join in for the mom's cooking night, but want to ask the group if it's okay if I bring MY mom. She is visiting for Halloween weekend, and I know she'd love to join us. She is a lot of fun, very social, and loves to try new foods. All that to say, I don't think she will cramp our style. Is that alright with everyone? "

    A couple moms responded that it was fine with them. then I received this from the hostess:

    "I hope you are not offended but this event is really a KIP Mom only and meant to discuss classroom issues, etc. Inasmuch as I would love to meet your mom and I am sure she is very sweet and would have a fun time with us (and we could probably learn from her as well!), in the past, it became too big as other moms, sisters, etc. were visiting...and it was difficult to say no to one and not the other and it became a general party rather than a "school" related bonding event.

    Thanks for understanding. I hope you are still able to make it, even for a little bit."

    Now I don't want this to turn into some big *thing.* I am going to be dealing with these parents for the next 5 years. But I was a little surprised at this response, as I felt it was kind of controlling to say that we can only come to the dinner if we are going to talk about school things and this is not a "general party" (not sure what that means.) What do you think? Am I being too sensitive? Misinterpreting?

Addendum: At pick-up this afternoon, I ran into another mom from the class. As we were walking to get our kids, she kindly said, "By the way, I just want you to know that I thought "hostess mom's" response to you about the cooking night was kind of mean. I would have said it was fine for you to bring your mom." I actually got a little choked up when she said it. I guess this hurt my feelings more than I thought. I felt sort of rejected or excluded, and they don't even know yet what a handful my mother is!

I am still interested in other perspectives, so fire away!

4 comments:

Radiomom Rhetoric said...

See--I also would have been offended. That was RUDE of her. Was it intended? She is probably too socially misguided to understand she was rude. I would NOT feel welcome, and as such--"I" would not be able to bring myself to go. But that is me. I am easily ofended when it comes to my family. Especially my mother. Don't you be rude to my mother or my fangs come out. And it isn't like you were asking for your mom to become a permanent member of this group...she is just "in town" for the weekend.

"I" would send her an e-mail back saying "Since guests are not welcome, I don't think it would be POLITE of me to leave my visiting mother at my house while I attend, as such, I will not be able to attending-but might like to be included on invitations to future events."

But that is me...admittedly a bit passive aggressive. :)

oh--since you have the sympathies of one of the other moms--I would "reply to all"--so everyone can read why you are not there.

-ooohhhhh am I mean? :)

mary said...

Since she gave a history of how the "rule" came about, I say give her a break. I can see where she's coming from and also how you felt hurt... I think she was rather nice in her email. Much more than I think I would have been but a phone call might have been better. Also, you did ask if it was OK with everyone. I'm glad that she gave you an honest answer instead of saying OK and then resenting you for it later. OK. me stop typing now.

I think this whole immersion program is fascinating. I had no idea this existed until I read your blog a while ago.

Unknown said...

I have to agree w/ Mary. While I totally see your side of things, and I probably would have said it's ok to bring your mom, I can see how things might get out of hand, too.

I belong to a playgroup (about 30 members) and we have weekly playdates for a set group of 5 that have committed to it. Somehow, the holidays happen on my host days & I can never say 'no' to the non-regular members, and my last playdate that fell on a holiday had 14 members plus 1-2 kids each!

We've had to go back & institute a rule that it's ok for a host to limit the playdate to the core members, otherwise it gets way too chaotic. A seasoned playgroup member had suggested this in the beginning, as they have the rule in her older child's group, but we felt bad excluding people, but now we realize it actually works better to limit the group. And we're not being exclusive, we open up the group quarterly & set up new playdates based on whoever can commit to one.

Mama Nabi said...

I would be conflicted about it. On one hand, sure, rules are rules - and if it were my house and I wanted some kind of control over who are invited, I can see myself maybe not writing a group email per se but a personal one. Because that would be nicer AND I could make sure that the other mom knows it's not her but my need to be anal rententively controlling. :-)

On the other hand - how often are these requests being made? It's one thing if people wanted to bring relatives along all the time but a visiting grandmother? I would have seen no huge deterrance from the rule book to allow an out-of-town grandmother into the group.

(Hm, maybe I'm too loosey-goosey to be doing anything PTA related.)