Sunday, September 14, 2008

Kang-gangsulle

Surprised you, didn't I? Well, Kang-gangsulle is one of the many things I learned at the Chusok celebration last week. This special day at school was a BLAST! We did the traditional Chusok dance, cooked songpyon, and made han bok-wearing paper dolls. Posting photos is a bit of a challenge, as I don't want to "out" anyone's kids. So here is a small sample to give you the general idea.


The children, all in han bok, walk to the auditorium for the Chusok assembly. The school supplied han bok for those who did not have them.

The teachers all wore han bok. This is Ms. Kim, the second grade teacher. Her han bok was gorgeous (and she is pretty great-looking, too. Booper talks about her a lot, and I think he has a crush on her.) She is reading a Chusok story to the assembled children. A lot of the moms wore Han Bok. I don't currently have one, but I am considering a purchase since there will be many more of these Korean celebrations in the future for Booper & The Caboose.



Another "line-up." Here you can sort of make out Booper's kindergarten teacher, Ms. Lee.
Later that evening, the moms from Booper's class all met for Korean food at a local restaurant. This particular establishment has a program in place where they donate 20% of your bill to the Korean Immersion Program. We had a private room in the back. Lots of laughing, eating, and planning ensued and we were there for nearly 3 hours. When I arrived home, the Handyman said, "I have this vision of you sitting at the table with, like, 8 Korean women." I told him, "You're close. It was me and 11 Korean women." And I loved it! Some of the moms speak hardly any English. Some speak hardly any Korean. Some are fully bilingual. And all are thrilled to pieces to have gotten our kids into this wonderful program. The feeling of community is inspiring.
I brought home some leftover kolbi, which was served the following evening for dinner and quickly devoured. I went to the Korean Market yesterday and bought some more to serve for dinner tonight. Check me out, getting all Jewrean on yo a$$. I asked the Handyman the other night, "so...you didn't start out married to a Korean woman, but it looks like you're going to end up that way. How's that going for you?"


7 comments:

Mama Nabi said...

(shedding tears of jealousy over here...)

Looks fabulous... I'm keeping my fingers crossed for one to open here... Pretty soon, you're going to be MORE Korean than I. Dammit!

Mama Nabi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
beavis said...

this is awesome! on a side note, I pointed out these photos to W and he was so excited!

"Chusok?"

I might attempt to put him in his hanbok next week when we go to Flushing.

thank you so much for posting the photos.

Sandra B. said...

Awe! The kids are so cute! I'm jealous too!

Radiomom Rhetoric said...

That looks so FUN!!! I can't say that I will ever have anything like that in my little city. the photos are wonderful!!

wonder what people would think of my oldest in his hanbok. Blonde har and blue eyes inherited from my father! LOL

Shinyung said...

These photos are adorable! (I think you know my friend Grace & her son Robbie? I sent her your blog b/c her son is also in the immersion program. What a small world!)

little seouls said...

hi there! can i ask where the preschool is? i'm in the bay area and would love to get info about the school!