Saturday, December 29, 2007

Random Acts of Meme

Welcome to my first meme, thanks to Halfmama. Having never done this before, I'm not quite sure of the Rules, but I'll try to supply 8 random, yet entertaining, facts about myself.


Rules: Once tagged, you must link to the person who tagged you. Then post the rules before your list, and list 8 random things about yourself.

1) My pupils are inordinately large, even in bright light, so I have to wear polarized sunglasses even on a cloudy day. In addition, my pupils are not the same size. Once, during an eye exam, the doctor accused me of being on drugs and would not take no for an answer.

2) I have extraordinarily long thumbs. I can wrap them around the back of my hand. Freaks people out.


3) In September, 1992, I almost died in a hurricane on Kauai. My boyfriend at the time and I went backpacking on the NaPali Coast Trail on the North Shore. On Day #2, the island was slammed with Class 5 Hurricane Iniki. Winds up to 180 mph. We spent the first part of the storm wedged between a boulder and the mountain, with our packs on our stomachs. During the eye, we scurried down and sought shelter for the second part inside a rental car that had been crushed by a tree. Because of this shared experience, I stayed with this dude for way longer than I should have.


4) I love to do the Sunday New York Times Crossword Puzzle in ink. I HATE it when someone tries to "help" me by blurting out answers over my shoulder.


5) I love Coconut flavored Coffee-Mate liquid creamer. I also like Toffee Nut flavor. I don't like Blueberry Cobbler flavor, though I love real Blueberry Cobbler. Mmmmm. Cobbler.


6) In my career thus far I have done the following: sat with people as they died, watched surgeons remove all the organs from a brain-dead person, watched a baby be delivered, had babies taken from their mothers because of drug use during pregnancy, walked into a hospital room to see a mother holding her dead babies. After this last one, I quit that job.


7) I would like to write a book. Or more accurately, I would like to have written a book.


8) I'm excellent at reading maps.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

#2 reminds me of the book, Even Cowgirl Get The Blues (not to be confused with the terrible movie version).

#3: Holy Crap.

#4: Holy Crap. I can't even do Monday's puzzle.

#7: I would love if you wrote (or had written) a book.

#9: No move-to-CA story? I love that one. I always picture Charlie's Angels.

Mama Nabi said...

large pupils and freakishly long thumbs... they kinda sound sexy. I'll bet they are.

Kinda like Speed, huh? I suppose, with that kind of shared experience and Keanu's good looks (hmm, Hawaii ref again), I suppose I could see how Sandra Bullock could forgive emotion-less delivery of those lines.

#6... Da-ayam.. The last one would totally destroy me - I'd have wept my ass off.

Yeah, cross word puzzle helpers are so annoying - there's a golden rule that dictates at least 6 ft radius of space around a cwp solver. That said, yeah, I prefer the Monday one! :-)

BTW, I was afraid to comment on the baseball post - I mean, I do like baseball and all but I'm not much of a spectator of any sports. I'd rather play... do you hate me now? :-(